- Learn about traditional herbal medicine from Zanzibar's most famous traditional herbal healer
- One-on-one lessons following your particular interest: therapeutical effects of herbs & healing, prevention through healthy nutrition, production of herbal mixtures
- Lessons are available on-site in Zanzibar (theory and practical application) or virtual via Skype/Zoom
- Flexible start date
- Duration: 1 week, but you can extend your stay
Mohammed Said is a well-respected medicine man in and outside of Zanzibar due to his exceptional knowledge of plant-based medicine and their medical properties. Everyone knows him as Mr. Madawa, the number one medicine man on the island. What’s more, even overseas patients take the long journey to Zanzibar to be treated by him. His practice is an extraordinary mix of age-old native knowledge and his son’s medical studies at university.
Mohammed cultivates his spices, herbs, and plants in his own garden in Bububu, and the whole family assists in processing the ingredients. Mr. Madawa runs his own clinic which is fully recognized by the Zanzibari Public Health Authority.
Do you want to learn more about natural medicine? Why not learn directly from Mr. Madawa during a one, two, three, or four weeks course. You will learn about the medical properties of herbs, plants, and spices for the prevention of diseases and cure, as well as how to produce herbal mixtures for medical and nutritional purposes.
The private lessons take two hours per day from Monday to Friday. For the rest of the time, you are encouraged to assist with the treatment of patients (if patients agree). Even though the patients are treated in Swahili, Mr. Madawa has a good command of English.
As an alternative option, you can also book online lessons with Mr. Madawa (via Skype or Whatsapp).More information
- One-on-one lessons with Mr. Madawa (Monday to Friday for 2 hours/day; a total of 10 hours)
- Attending patient consultation and get explanations by Mr. Madawa (if patient agrees)
- Pick-up and accompaniment from any hotel in Zanzibar Town to Mr. Madawa's clinic in Bububu on the first day of lessons
Not Inclusive of
- Travel to Zanzibar
- Accommodation (you can book host family accommodation on full board in Stone Town of high standard for 180 USD per week per person.
- Travel insurance
- Any other service which is not explicitly included
- Any additional week of lessons (20 hours) is 140 USD for one person and 100 USD in case of 2-4 persons