- Go back to ancient times and get insight into the amazing art of Songket weaving
- Meet the local artisans and learn about the Songket weaving process
- Watch your custom Songket memento being woven for you
- Learn about how Songket was used in ancient times
- Duration: 1 hour
Malaysian Songket is a brocade, where gold and silver threads are woven on a cotton or silk base where the motifs "float" to form beautiful pieces. Songkets are traditionally used as part of a dowry and hung from the wedding bed to announce the family's wealth or as a must-wear for ceremonial dresses and costumes. The finest Songkets were woven on the east coast side of Terengganu. It was there and in the surrounding villages that each house contained a loom. This beautiful art craft is threatened, and we want to preserve it.
During this virtual tour experience, you will get a behind the scenes peek into our workshop where I will introduce you to our amazing team of 14 local artisans and their passion for making Malaysia's most precious cloth. Weaving a Songket requires a high degree of skill, which takes the weaver a lot of dedication and practice to master the technique. We practice the traditional craft of Songket weaving in its purest form and are arguably the country's only progressive weaving workshop.
During this online weaving experience, you will get to witness your own personalized Songket memento being woven on the loom just for you. You will also have a chance to ask questions to the artisan making it or just watch the intricate weaves coming together. Upon completing the tour, we will mail you your own handwoven tour souvenir!More information
- virtual host/guide
- personalised songket souvenir to be posted to you (free postage within Malaysia)
- as this a virtual tour, a zoom dial-in code will be provided
Not Inclusive of
- charges outside Malaysia