- Hike through rice paddy fields, lush green jungle and steep slopes to a Khmu village
- Have a typical Khmu lunch and chat with the local village people
- Stay overnight in a local family's home
- Duration: 2 days
- This is a private tour
On this 2-day hiking tour, you will get an introduction to Lao Loum, Lao Theung, and Lao Sung ethnicities and culture. As you walk through this area, you will help the communities through your contributions and the jobs tourism provides for them. You will also visit the Elephant Village and the Tad Sae waterfalls.
The first day you will trek two hours through rice paddies, middle canopy and steep slopes to a Khmu Village where children greet you. Ascend another hour along ridges, limestone caves and rocky slopes for lunch at a Hmong Village. Mountains and valleys offer many opportunities to experience a variety of flora and fauna. Stop, look, listen and ask your guide about the life teeming around you. You will stay overnight at a family home. Dine with villagers and join a cultural activity. Rest peacefully at a village style bamboo hut or family home after trying the local Lao Whiskey. (Note: the houses are in Lao style simplicity and come with outside shared facilities). 6-7 hours trekking, depending on season and trail conditions).
The second day you will enjoy breakfast and set out for a two hour trek along the river bed. Then head onto small trails into a Khmu village community. Enjoy a boat ride on the Nam Khan river to the Elephant Village or another local village for a visit. (4-5 hours trekking, depending on season and trail conditions.
- Transportation to starting point from Luang Prabang 8:30 a.m.
- English speaking guide
- Local village guide where needed
- Lao Loum, Lao Theung, and Sung village encounter
- Local river boat services on Nam Khan
- Food in local village, fruit, drinking water
- Entrance fees, local permission, taxes
- Other drinks