- Insight into the silk weaving process
- Learn to weave on a loom and take home your own woven piece!
- Attending this workshop will directly benefit local artisans and their families
- Duration: 1/2 day
- Maximum number of participants is 6*
Weaving silk is a craft perfected over the centuries and countries like Thailand, Cambodia and Laos are experts in silk weaving. The process from mulberry bush to cocoon, to silk thread (colored or not) to finished product is an intense labor of love. Working with our Lao artisans, you will discover the beauty and secrets of Lao textiles.
The Half Day Weaving Class is an introduction to weaving on a loom. You will be assigned a loom and a guide and a weaver are there to help you learn the art of weaving. You will select two colors and will create a placemat-sized piece with a Lao motif.
The Weaving Class is an introduction to weaving on a traditional Lao loom. Our weavers and a knowledgeable guide will help you create your own weaving.
Don’t worry, no previous experienced is necessary to create a truly unique souvenir.
You have the option to take a morning class from 9:00 – 12:00 or the afternoon class from 13:00 – 16:00.
- Your own woven piece
* In general the groups are not larger than 6 people, but sometimes there might be an exception.