HIGHLIGHTS STREET TOUR WITH ALEX
- Venture out into the streets of Nairobi with Alex during this tour
- Join Alex as he sells solar lights and durable cook stoves in his community to improve people’s lives
- Enjoy chai and chapatti on the way
- Hear Alex’s stories about the neighbourhood where he grew up on the streets
- Stroll around the narrow lanes, experience the hustle and bustle of a vibrant slum community and visit a local market
- Enjoy a delicious Kenyan lunch at the end of your visit
- Duration: 4 hours
I grew up in the streets of Kawangware, one of Nairobi’s slum neighborhoods. I lost my parents at a young age and had to look after myself, which isn’t easy on the streets. I learned to fend for myself, but I didn’t finish school and I fell into some dangerous habits.
I now work for an NGO that train and empower youth and women by providing them with life-improving goods to sell, like solar lamps and clean cook stoves. I am one of the trainers and sellers of sustainable cook stoves and solar lights. By joining me during this street walk along the houses selling these products you will get a peek into local life you otherwise wouldn’t get.
We will enjoy some Kenyan chai and chapatti along the way, with a group of youth and women that I have also trained.
After our break we will continue our walk while telling you more about life in Kawangware. I will show you our local market, explain to you how people interact, how they cook, what languages they speak and how they unwind. There are some amazing creative projects in Kawangware which we might also get to peek at if we’re lucky!
At the end of our walk we will enjoy a traditional Kenyan lunch, and you’ll have a unique insight into life in the slums. You will see a side of Nairobi not many people get to see, away from the tourist attractions and off the route that the guidebook shows you. This will give you a unique insight into life in this neighborhood.
- Snack and chai
- Transportation to and from meeting point
- personal expenses