- Meet James in his small soapstone workshop
- Learn about soapstone making and painting
- Get your hand on your own soapstone bowl
- Enjoy a traditional Kenyan meal prepared by James
- Take home your own soapstone art piece
- Immerse in local Kenyan life
- Duration: 3 hours
Welcome to my little soapstone workshop in Nairobi. During this 3-hour workshop you will not only learn about soapstone making and creating one unique piece yourself, you will also learn more about my culture and taste some traditional Kenyan food.
Upon arrival I will warmly welcome you into my home. After giving you a short introduction, I will tell you all about soapstone. Where it comes from to how it is transformed into sculptures and artwork.
I will personally do a demonstration on how to paint, shine, and carve designs into a 6 inch soapstone bowl. Then you will have the chance to create your own little art piece. You will get your own 6 inch bowl that you can carve designs in, paint, and shine.
We will break for lunch, in which I will have a Kenyan lunch ready for you (most likely beans & rice or Githeri-a mixture of beans & corn). Throughout the entire experience, I will be happy to answer any questions and assist you if you need help on your own bowl. I want the experience to be an interactive experience and not a lecture. At the end of the soapstone workshop you can take home your own art work as a memory of this day.
Starting time: 10 am or 3 pm
- A 6 inch Soapstone Bowl, along with all the supplies needed for it will be provided for free
- A vegetarian friendly lunch will be provided (Please let me know if you have any further dietary restrictions and I will try to accommodate. There is also a small local grocery store next door)
- A 3-hour workshop