- Experience life in one of India's largest slums and home of many small scale industries
- Chat with local people and see how they deal with their day-to-day business like leather tanning, poppadom and pottery making
- Contribute directly to people in the Dharavi area by taking this tour
- Duration: 2 hours
- Maximum number of participants per tour is 6
Dharavi is one of India’s largest slums. It is not only one of the largest, but it is the home of many small scale industries in Mumbai. Dharavi's industries have an annual turnover of approximately US$ 665 million. During this tour you will see and experience these small industries. You will see businesses like recycling, pottery-making, embroidery, bakery, soap factory, leather tanning, poppadom-making and many more. Most of these things are created in innovative ways and in very small spaces!
Walking through Dharavis small alleys will give you a real sense of this community and will provide you with a unique, local experience. Watch artisans create all types of pots out of unfired, sundried clay or see the local women make fresh poppadoms.
You can make a lasting impact in the community if you save just a few kilos of space in your suitcase and bring supplies for area schools or medical clinics in need, you'll make a priceless impact in the lives of our local children and families.
By going on one of our tours, you will be contributing directly to the work of our sister organization a non-profit organization. We run some educational projects directly ourselves in the Dharavi area, but we also support the work of other NGOs (charities) doing great work in the same community. Learn more about the activities of our sister-NGO here.
Starting time and location are:
- 9.15 am -1.45 pm at Churchgate Railway station
- Local guide
- Soft drink