- Learn the make the best Yak cheese in the Himalayas!
- Get insight into the key techniques and ingredients
- Experience a local families home and immerse into local life
- Enjoy amazing mountain sceneries
- Share stories and culture with the local family
- Duration: 2days
Say Yak Cheese! Are you a lover of cheese or all things dairy? During this cheese making experience, you will get an insight into indigenous, traditional ways of making butter, ghee (clarified butter), cheese, and dahi (yogurt). Understand and learn every wondrous step of dairy production in the Himalayas. End with tasty mouthfuls of Spiti’s unique Yak Cheese!
You will stay overnight in a homestay of one of the families that we work with. This will give the unique opportunity to experience local families live and exchange stories and cultures.
Upon arrival on the first day, we will start off by trying our hand at making Dahi (yogurt). Take a step further the next day as we learn how to churn butter out of the Dahi. We then proceed to make Ghee (clarified butter) from the butter! To make the cheese, we discover the correct way to boil Lassi (butter milk) which is then kept overnight. The delicious cheese is ready to eat the next day :)More information
- Transport from and to Kaza
- Two-night accommodation at a homestay in Demul
- Meals at the homestay
Not Inclusive of
- Mineral water and beverages (other than those provided)
- Tips; Insurance
- Visa ; Inner Line Permit if needed (For Foreign Nationals only)
- Expenses arising out of unforeseen circumstances
- Any additional activities not mentioned in the program
- Add-on activities marked as