- Experience the nomadic lifestyle of Gonkho and his family
- Learn to ride or milk a yak, and sleep in a yurt
- Enjoy the expansive plains of Tibet
- Learn to make traditional food
- Join in the daily activities of the family and make friends for a lifetime
- Duration: 7 days
Hi, I am Gonkho and my family and I invite you to experience the true nomadic lifestyle of Tibet with us. The Tibetan people migrate twice a year between their winter and summer camps (May and October). This is the perfect period to join us for the journey, get to know us and try out our lifestyle.
Our aim is to preserve and promote the traditional culture and nomadic lifestyle of the Tibetan people, which is in danger due to the modernization of life on the Tibetan plateau.
During this experience you have a chance to learn how to ride a yak, horse, milk the yaks and learn how to make butter and cheese; and witness how to wool tents and traditional mud stoves are made.
Below is an example schedule how the program will look like.
Day 1: Arrive in Chengdu (China)
Day 2 - 3 / Transfer to the prairies of Tangkor
Day 4-5-6 / Join the local family in their move to the summer/winter camp
Day 7 / Transfer to Chengdu and end of the trip
The migration will be done on horseback, but we can also organize trips combining car and walking back to the camp for overnight stay.
It can be combined with other cultural visits in the area or even a visit to Lhasa.
- Local Tibetan English-speaking guide
- Transportation from / to Chengdu and airport transfers
- 2-3 * hotel accommodation (4 nights) full board
- 6 horses and 2 nomadic herdsmen with their horses
- Traditional meals in pastures
- Camping equipment (tents, tent mat and sink)
- Accommodation and subsistence guides, drivers and other local staff